TMS is recommended for patients with depression who:
- Have trialled at least two antidepressants or
- Experience treatment resistant depression
TMS can be used as an augmentation therapy or as a monotherapy.
- Most patients combine TMS treatment with antidepressant medications.
• Some patients who do not want to take antidepressants, or who would like a break from antidepressants, undergo TMS as a monotherapy.
Contraindications and precautions.
• Patients with implants in their head (such as Cochlear implants, nerve stimulators or intracranial clips) may not be eligible for treatment. Note: dental fillings, braces and retainers do not pose a risk to TMS and are not factors for exclusion.
• Patients with a history of seizures within two years at the time of referral may
not be eligible. History of seizures does not automatically exclude patients from
treatment but may require a review by